Long Underwear Podcast Show Notes: Jeremy Jones
Why staying organized off the mountain is so hard, founding Protect Our Winters, the highs (and lows) of adventuring with his kids, and that one time he traded a minivan for a pickup truck while in Baja.
Be sure to rate, review and subscribe on iTunes to help spread the word.
Listen & Subscribe here:
Jeremy Jones lays down a turn at Squaw Valley, his home mountain. PC: Hand de Vré
About the Athlete
Jeremy Jones is a professional big mountain snowboarder, filmmaker, climate advocate and the founder of Jones Snowboards. Raised in Massachusetts, Jeremy now calls Tahoe home. He’s been featured in two Warren Miller films, as well as multiple TGR films, including his own adventure documentaries which feature Jones taking on huge mountaineering feats, including “Deeper”, “Further” and “Higher”. Today, Jeremy is largely involved in the non-profit organization, Protect Our Winters, which he founded to help combat climate change.
Jeremy Jones founded "Protect Our Winters" in 2007 in the hopes of uniting outdoors enthusiasts behind a common cause to protect our global climate. PC: Hand de Vré
No More “S” Word:
- After Amie and Jeremy briefly discuss Jeremy’s career as a snowboader and Jeremy reflects on the impact Warren Miller films have had on him, Amie challenges Jeremy to not talk about snowboarding for the rest of the podcast.
- From there, Jeremy talks about his strong ability to connect with people from all walks of life and he discusses why he needs to work on his organizational skills when he’s off the mountain.
- After that, Amie and Jeremy discuss what his alternate life would look like and Jeremy tells Amie why he’d want to be able to teleport.
- Then, Amie ask the Protect Our Winters (POW) sponsored question and Jeremy explains why he started the organization, how it’s grown, how the new “Outdoor State” campaign aims to unify all outdoor enthusiasts and why every person can feel confident in getting involved in environmental activism.
- Following that conversation, Amie and Jeremy talk about how they handle trolls on the internet and why our current COVID crisis is reminiscent of the overall climate change movement.
- From there, Jeremy talks about both the highs and lows of backpacking and surfing with his kids.
- To wrap it up, Jeremy tells a story of when he was 18 and on a surf trip in Baja. The tale involves the search for the perfect pointbreak, trading a minivan for a truck and all of the hell that broke loose from there…
Follow Jeremy on his adventures here.
Big Thanks to our Season 4 Partners: